Another pork dish that I loveee very much, is the crispy pork belly. It took me a while to finally decide to make this, because it does take time. I have to think ahead if I want to have it on which day so that I can prepare one day in advance. Why? The marinate takes at least 24 hours! But I can say that the result is very satisfying! The pork turns out to be so nice, crispy, and salty!
I paired it with Indonesian sambal matah (check on my recipe on how to make it). I love to mix Chinese and Indonesian taste, because that’s where I am made of and that’s how the new food innovation develops… 🙂
1 kg pork belly
First marinate mixture, for the meat side (without the rind)
1 tsp five spice powder
½ tsp pepper
1 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine
Second marinate mixture, for the rind
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
Third mixture, for roasting
1 kg coarse salt
2 j egg white
- Slice the pork meat (not the rind) into a few sections so that when you marinate, the marinate sauce can easily absorb to the pork and it makes easier later to cut.
- Spread the first marinate sauce with a brush to cover the pork (meat side).
- Put the pork on a flat plate, rind side up.
- Spread the second mixture with a brush on the rind.
- Marinate overnight in the fridge.
- Pre-heat oven 210 degrees Celsius. Prepare the third mixture.Take out the marinated pork from the fridge.
- Use a sharp knife to pierce the pork rind to make a lot of small holes. This can give the crispiness to the skin later.
- Prepare the third mixture
- On the aluminum foil, spread 1/3 of the third mixture, press it with hand until it’s more less as big as the pork belly, lay down the pork rind side up on top of the third mixture.
- Use the rest of the mixture to cover the entire pork belly, make sure to spress it with hand until its nice and tight.
- Grill it in the over for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Take the pork belly from the oven, remove all the coarse salt.
- Put the pork belly back to the oven (just the upper grill) with a new aluminum foil another 15-25 minutes until the skin is nice and crispy.
- Once it’s done, take it out, wait about 10 minutes and cut them.
- Ready to serve.