Since I started my german class and the place has no microwave, I need to always think of food that I can eat cold or room temperature. And this sweet sour tempe is perfect! It can be eaten with rice both cold and warm, as a side dish, or as a snack.
Total Time: 40 minutes
400 g Tempe, cut in small-thin slices
50 g peanuts (optional)
250 ml vegetable oil
4 shallot, thin-sliced
3 garlic, thin-sliced
1 cm galangal, crushed
2 chilies, sliced
3-4 lime leaf
4 tbsp sweet soy sauce
2 tbsp tamarind, dissolved in ¼ cup of hot water
10 g palm sugar, chopped
- Heat up the vegetable oil in a wok/deep frying pan on medium-high.
- Deep fry tempe until golden brown. Set aside on a kitchen paper.
- Deep fry peanuts until brown. Set aside on a kitchen paper. (optional)
- Heat up the wok on medium-high with a few spoon of vegetable oil, throw in garlic, shallots, chilies, galangal, and lime leaves. Stir for about 1-2 minutes until it’s fragrant.
- Add in the rest of the sauce ingredients, stir for a few minutes until it’s boiling.
- Turn down the heat to medium-low, throw in the fried tempe and peanuts.
- Stir for another 3-4 minutes until the sauce is well absorbed and it looks slightly sticky. Ready to serve.