There are many ways of cooking Mie Ayam (Chicken Noodle), and this style is more of Chinese Indonesian style. I like to use the (fresh) frozen noodle from Asian market in Stuttgart instead of dried noodle. The consistency is better and it feels just like noodle I normally eat back in Indonesia. But of course, if you can’t find it, dried noodle will also work. I make this dish very often and I like to use different measurement in the sauce to get the taste I like. So feel free to do so, adjust it as you like… 🙂
Total Time: 40 minutes
Serving: 3 – 4
300 g Chicken breast (2-3 chicken breast)
150 g Mushroom, chopped
2 Garlic, chopped
2 cm Ginger, chopped
Meat balls (optional)
Boiled Pak Choi, Chai Sim, or Salad
2 tbsp Light soy sauce
4 tbsp Sweet soy sauce
1 tbsp Oyster sauce
1 tsp Tapioca/Corn startch
1 tsp Chicken powder
1 cup Water
2 Garlic, peeled
2 cm Ginger, sliced
1 tbsp Garlic oil
1 tbsp Light soy sauce
1 tbsp Sweet soy sauce
Spring onion, chopped
Fresh chili for extra heat
- Boil chicken breast in a liter of water with garlics and ginger for about 15 minutes until it’s cooked. Remove any white fat in the soup. Take out the chicken, cool it down.
- Shred with fork or hand, or cut with knife into small pieces. You can choose your preference. Set aside.
- On a cooking pan, heat up on medium-high with 2-3 tbsp of vegetable oil. Throw in chopped garlic and ginger, stir until it’s fragrant and add in the chopped mushroom. Cook for about 5 minutes until mushroom it’s cooked.
- Add in the shredded chicken, mixed sauce, and stir them well until it’s boiling, turn off the heat. Set aside.
- In a serving bowl prepare the noodle mix: garlic oil, soy sauce, and sweet soy sauce.
- In a deep pot, fill up with 1-1.5 liter of water (or about 1/3 of your pot), put on high heat until it’s boiling. Once it’s boiling, throw in the egg noodle, cook for about 1-2 minutesand take it out.
- Mix the noodle with the mixed sauce.
- Add the chicken, vegies, and meat balls. Garnish with chopped spring onion and fried shallot.
- For the soup, add 1 tsp garlic oil. This is the key to a fragrant soup and mie ayam. 🙂