Chicken curry is a well-known dish from Asia and is loved because of taste, aroma, and comfort. I develop this recipe as it is close to what I usually had in Indonesia, especially in my family circle. During Chinese New Year, I used to hop in and out each house of my relatives, asking for “Angpao” (money in a red envelop, to give luck and prosperity), it is a tradition in chinese indonesian family for chinese new year. Every time I visit one of relative’s home, my aunts would serve many different type of dishes, including Chicken curry. It is of course nothing to do with Chinese, but as Indonesian-Chinese, we like to mix Chinese culture with Indonesian taste. =) So I hope you guys enjoy this recipe!
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
1, 5 kg Chicken with bones
3-4 Carrots, cut into chunks (about 1cm thickness)
300 g Potatoes of your choice. Many use big potatoes without skin cut into chunks, but this time I use small potatoes with skin. Both taste good.
1 litre Coconut milk
2 Bay leaves
1 Cinnamon stick
¼ tsp Nutmeg
¼ tsp Pepper
2 tbsp Soy sauce
2 tbsp Vegetable oil
Curry Paste – to blend (spicy level: mild)
4 Small chilies
4 Large chilies
½ Lemon grass
2 tsp Coriander powder
4 cm Turmeric, you can also use 2 tsp turmeric powder
5-6 Candle nuts
½ cup Water
- Prepare all the ingredients, blend the curry paste, and cut the chicken into small pieces if you buy a whole chicken.
- Heat up a pot in low-medium with 3-4 tbsp vegetable oil. Cook the curry paste for about 3-4 minutes until fragrant.
- Bring up the heat to medium. Add the chicken and 200ml water, cover the pot with a lid, and cook for about 15-20 minutes until it’s soft. Make sure to keep stir the chicken every now and then so it’s cooked equally and don’t get burned.
- Throw in all other ingredients; potatoes, carrots, coconut milk, etc. Cook in medium heat, cover pot in lid for another 30-40 minutes. Make sure to stir them every now and then.
- Chicken curry is ready. You can serve with rice, egg noodle, glass noodle, or vermicelli. Garnish with fried shallots.