This dish reminds me a lot of street food in Indonesia. Very often it is served with plain rice or nasi uduk (rice cooked in coconut milk), fried tempe or tofu, salad, cucumber, basil, and most importantly chili sauce! You can find the chili sauce recipe here. There so many ways to cook turmeric chicken (as we call it, yellow chicken), but the basic ingredients are the same: garlic, shallots, turmeric (of course). So I hope you enjoy this Yellow fried chicken! 🙂
Total Time: 1 hour
600 g Chicken wings or you can also use whole chicken
3-5 Lime leaves
Enough vegetable oil to deep fry
2 Big shallots
4 cm Lengkuas
1 tsp Corriander powder
2 tsp Tumeric powder (you can also use fresh turmeric, about 4cm)
1-2 tsp Salt
½ cup Water
- Blend all ingredients for the paste
- Prepare a pot, fill it with Chicken and enough water to cover.
- Add in the paste, lemon grass, and lime leaves together with the chicken, boil for about 30-40 minutes in a medium-low heat, until the chicken is tender, but not too soft.
- Take the chicken out from the yellow water.
- In a wok or a pot, heat enough vegetable oil for deep fry in medium.
- Fry the chicken for about 10-15 minutes or until it’s golden brown.
- Tumeric fried chicken is ready to serve with jasmin rice, fried tempe, and home-made chili sauce. Yum….