As you may have noticed already, I love spicy food! But Mapo Tofu 麻婆豆腐 is a different level of spice, the Ma 麻pepper (very famous pepper from Sichuan) will give a little numbness in the tongue when you accidentally eat it if you don’t careful when eating the dish. But don’t worry, this is not going to burn your tongue or making you cry. As long you crush the pepper smooth enough, it will just taste like normal spices. I like to keep it a little rough so I can still feel the numbness but not over-powering the sauce of Mapo Tofu 麻婆豆腐itself. I hope you like this special Chinese dish.
Total Time: 30-40 minutes
500 g Tofu, cut into about 2 cm chunk
120 g Minced pork
2 Garlic, minced
2 cm Ginger, chopped small
1 tbsp Ma la, roasted and crushed
1 tbsp Doubanjiang (Bean paste)
1 tbsp Black bean, chopped
1 tbsp Corn starch in 2 tbsp water (pour at the end)
2 tbsp Vegetable oil
½ tbsp Chili powder
2 tbsp Light soy sauce
1 tsp Chinkiang vinegar (Chinese black vinegar)
1 tsp Rice wine
1 tbsp Chicken powder
2 cup Water
1 tbsp Sugar
- Roast the Ma pepper on a pan on medium heat for a few seconds on high heat until it looks crispy. Crush until its smoothed or little rough, as you like. You can crush them using Mostar and pestle. If you don’t have it, you can put them in a plastic bag and crush it with available kitchen tool.
- Cook tofu in a boiling water for about 2-4 minutes, this will soften the tofu, but be careful not to leave it too long. Otherwise it will be too soft.
- Pre-heat a pan in a medium high heat. Add in vegetable oil, chopped garlic and ginger. Stir until its fragrant.
- Add in the minced pork. Stir until its cooked.
- Add in the Doubanjiang and black beans as well as the mixed sauce, stir them well with minced pork.
Throw the cooked tofu in. last touch the dish with sugar and chicken powder. Add in about 1 cup of hot water from the water that we use to cook the tofu.
- Last but not least, throw in the mixed corn starch to give the starchy taste and look.
- Mapo Tofu is ready to serve with steamed rice and you can garnish it with chopped spring onion.