This is a typical Chinese soup that was introduced by my mom when I was a child. She used to make this with pork ribs. However, I improvised it with pork belly instead, because it is just easier to eat without getting through the pealing process… 🙂 I loveeee this soup, especially when the peanuts are really soft and tender, and the seasonings for the soup is also very minimal. All the juiciness comes from its ingredients. Hope you like it as much as I do and Enjoy cooking!
Total time: 2 hours
250 g Pork Belly, take off the skin and cut into approx. 1 cm length.
250 g Peanuts (with skin)
100 g Lotus
8 pcs Big dates
1 tbsp Goji berries
1 tbsp Soy sauce
½ tsp Salt
1 tsp Sugar
1 -1,5 liter Water
- Cook the pork belly in a pot in medium heat until it’s cooked. You don’t need oil, because the fat from pork belly acts like oil.
- Pour in 1 liter of water.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients. Add more water to cover the whole ingredients, if necessary. You can also add it later to adjust.
- Cook on low heat for at least 1 hour. It will be better to cook longer (about 1,5 – 2 hours), because the peanuts will be then very soft and the sweetness of dates and goji berries will be stronger.
- Season with salt, sugar and soy sauce. Ready to serve.